Monday, March 14, 2011

Food as a bonding point.

YES. Last entry before the fun part-- the reflection entries! (Obviously, I'm not turning this line in)

Food is definitely a bonding point. As I pointed out in the title of the journal.
Firstly, many of the turning points happen over food. Not the negative events mainly, but food signifies a change of heart or the moment when two or more characters are brought closer together.

A very largely emphasized example would be the moment when Aloka and Sujata finally settle their differences and reconcile while making channer payesh a cheese and milk dessert that their Grandma likes-- as Sujata admits to Aloka:

"When she sneaked a look at Sujata, it shocked her to see the crumpled face. Sujata bit her lip, squeezed her hands, and flexed her feet inside her sandals, like she used to do as a child when she was upset. ALoka felt a surge of affection towards Sujata, the usually tough woman, suddenly so vulnerable.  'When Thakurma asked me if I'd help you in the kitchen, at first I had reservations. Then I thought if we spent some time together we could resolve our differences....' Sujata's voice trailed off." (287)

Another moment happens before this-- when Aloka finally defends Sujata against Pranab at a cafe while they are eating snacks, despite the fact that Sujata has had an affair with Pranab in the past. This moment signifies when Aloka is finally able to let go of her grudges as well as her bondage to Pranab, and stand up for her and her sister's dignity (In this scene they were waiting for or already drinking, I couldn't tell, coffee and scones):

"'Are you saying all this because you're angry at me, because I pay more attention to Sujata?'

'Quite the contrary. I have come to consider myself fortunate that you loved Sujata more. All that time I held on to you, playing the dutiful Hindu wife, cost me years of my life. But now, fortunately, I've outgrown all that. Had we remained married, you'd have dragged me down even more.'" (270)

Also, as mentioned earlier, Aloka and Jahar first bond over food, and Sujata's last day in Victoria is spent over dinner when her friends encourage her and give her advice in regards to her romantic problems back in Darjeeling.

(On a random note, I notice that Sujata is referred to as Suzy only in the chapters she narrates... probably because she is still Sujata to the rest of the family....)

Also, Aloka and Nina are able to get closer to each other in terms of a granddaughter-grandmother relationship over a very exquisite lunch, just as Sujata and Nina in the chapter before further reconcile while discussing tea. In regards to the former, this is the moment when Nina suggests to Aloka that she make the channer payesh with Sujata. Also, at these respective points Aloka and Sujata soon reveal that they have overcome many of their obstacles and have gotten over their love for Pranab. These are also the moments when they assert their independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment